The Importance of Treating Gum Recession and Gum Pain
Untreated gum recession can have serious consequences on both oral and physical health. Although the early symptoms may seem mild and trivial, more advanced symptoms such as sensitive teeth can inhibit daily activities. Patients who are experiencing sensitive teeth or gum pain in McAllen, TX should contact Dr. John Tan as soon as possible.
Why Is Gum Recession Dangerous?
Many patients tend to ignore signs of gum recession because the early symptoms are mostly inconsequential. However, gum recession can result in oral complications. Once the root becomes exposed, serious deficiencies in daily functions can occur. For example, sensitive teeth make it hard to eat certain foods which may cause you to alter your diet. Patients who do not seek treatment early on will likely experience both cosmetic and oral health-related issues down the line.
What Are the Health Issues?
In addition to altering the appearance of your smile, gum recession can affect your oral health in the following ways:
- Sensitive Teeth – When the gum lines recede to expose the tooth root, it can make that tooth sensitive to hot and cold temperatures. Sensitive teeth often drive patients to alter their diet in ways that may not be beneficial to their overall health.
- Root Cavities – In addition to harming the structure of the tooth, a cavity can be quite unattractive to look at. When gum recession occurs, the roots are more susceptible to developing tooth decay along with structural damage.
What Are Cosmetic Issues?
Gum recession can cause several cosmetic issues. These include:
- Toothy Smile – Many patients notice that their teeth begin to appear larger than normal as the gum line recedes. This can be unattractive to patients who wish to have their gum line repaired.
- Discoloration – The roots of the teeth are naturally darker than the enamel portions. When they become exposed due to a recession, the discoloration can stand out in contrast. Furthermore, the roots tend to collect stain more readily due to their rough surface texture.
Patients experiencing receding tissues, sensitive teeth, or gum pain in McAllen, TX can receive treatment to restore their oral health. Contact Dr. Tan for more information about treating gum recession!
Consider Dr. John Tan in McAllen, TX For Your Gum Recession Treatment
Treating Gum Recession
For many, a recession can be a symptom of a greater, underlying dental issue. Some of the key reasons to treat gum recession early on include:
- May reduce the risk of loose teeth
- Reduces pain and discomfort associated with inflammation of the gum tissue
- Reduces tooth sensitivity
- Restores a healthy looking smile
- May reduce the risk of gum disease and other oral health problems